Repairs – Who is responsible?

What your landlord is responsible for

  • the property’s structure and exterior
  • basins, sinks, baths and other sanitary fittings including pipes and drains
  • heating and hot water
  • gas appliances, pipes, flues and ventilation
  • electrical wiring
  • any damage they cause by attempting repairs

Your landlord is usually responsible for repairing common areas, eg staircases in blocks of flats. Check your tenancy agreement if you’re unsure.

Your responsibilities

You should only carry out repairs if the tenancy agreement says you can.

You can’t be forced to do repairs that are your landlord’s responsibility.

If you cause damage to yours or another tenant’s property, eg if water leaks into another room from an overflowing bath, you’re responsible for paying for the repairs. You’re also responsible for paying to put right any damage caused by your family and friends.

If your property needs repairs

Contact us if you think repairs are needed. Do this straight away for faults that could damage health, eg faulty electrical wiring. We will then liaise with your landlord and arrange for the works to be carried out.  You should carry on paying rent while you’re waiting.

If repairs aren’t done

Contact the environmental health department at your local council for help. They must take action if they think the problems could harm you or cause a nuisance to others.

If your house isn’t fit to live in

If you think your home’s unsafe, contact housing department at your local council. They’ll do a Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS) assessment and must take action if they think your home has serious health and safety hazards.

Our Location
CXG House, 70 High Street, Haverhill, Suffolk, CB9 8AR
Haverhill Office: 01440 712216