Landlord FAQs

I want to let my property. Do I need to tell my mortgage lender?

Yes. Your mortgage lender needs to give you permission before you can let your property, and they may impose special conditions. If you are buying a property with the intention of letting it out, you can obtain a buy to let mortgage.

How do I know what rent to charge?

Ask a letting agent to value your home. At CXG Lettings, we’re experts in the market, so we can tell you how other rental properties are faring in the area, and what kind of yield you can hope to expect.

Why should I use a managing agent?

Choosing a fully managed service allows you to completely relax. You never have to worry about the let. It creates a professional distance between you and the tenancy, and means you can avoid having to deal with all the bad bits like rent arrears and deposit disputes.

What are my obligations surrounding gas?

It is a legal requirement under the Gas Safety (Installations and Use) Regulations 1998 to ensure all gas appliances in the property are checked once a year and provide a Gas Safety Certificate. This check must be carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer. As part of our partnership with REBI Construction Ltd we are able to complete this inspection for you, with our fully qualified gas engineer. Along with this our system will automatically remind us when these yearly inspections are due, creating less stress for you!

Will my agent keep my money safe?

If you have chosen a regulated agent like CXG, then your money will be protected. Not all agents are regulated, but we choose to be. We are members of NALS, SafeAgent and TPO as well as My Deposits. It is also a legal requirement to secure all tenant deposits into one of the governments approved schemes. We take responsibility of this for you, using my|deposits to protect all deposits we hold in a designated client bank account. There is a one off fee when signing a tenancy agreement for protecting the deposit. Please refer to our scale of fees for this.

Do I need an Energy Performance Certificate?

It is a legal requirement when we put your property on the market that you must supply an EPC. This report is carried out by a Domestic Energy Assessor (DEA) that gives information on the energy efficiency of the house. Once complete this is valid for 10 years. We are able to arrange this for you if you do not currently have an EPC in place.

What kind of insurance do I need as a landlord?

As a landlord you must provide buildings insurance. When taking out your insurance, please ensure it is a landlords policy, as you may not be covered by a standard policy (i.e. homeowners insurance). If you would like a quote then we can put you in touch with a provider. We strongly recommend to tenants to take out a policy to cover the contents of the property at the start of the tenancy.

Am I responsible for a property's smoke/CO2 alarms?

It is the landlords responsibility to ensure when a tenant moves in there is at least one working smoke alarm on each floor (usually placed in the hallway and on the landing). After a tenant has moved in it is their responsibility to regularly test the alarm and replace the battery if necessary. If you do not have any smoke alarms in your property we can provide and fit them for you. As of October 2015 it is also the responsibility of the landlord to provide a working CO2 alarm in the property (click here for more information)

Our Location
CXG House, 70 High Street, Haverhill, Suffolk, CB9 8AR
Haverhill Office: 01440 712216